Safety is a primary issue when you're recovering from a disaster especially one as devastating as Hurricane Sandy.
Follow these tips to help ensure your safety and cope with the disaster. If you aren't able to return home, states, tribes, localities, and the Red Cross continue to operate emergency shelters along the East Coast.
Here's how to find shelter:
- Monitor conditions in your area; find shelter; and let others know you are safe, with the Red Cross Hurricane App.
- Download the FEMA app to find a map with open shelters and open FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers.
- Call the Red Cross at 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
- Search for shelters via text message: text: SHELTER and your ZIP code to 43362 (4FEMA). For example: Shelter 01234 (standard rates apply).
- Check local news media outlets.
Here's additional information that may assist you and your family recover from Hurricane Sandy:
- FEMA's Hurricane Sandy website
- For disaster assistance: 1-800-621-FEMA or www.disasterassistance.gov
- Filing a flood insurance claim
- Volunteering and donating
- Recovering from a disaster
People working on cleanup and helping disaster survivors also need to be concerned about their health and safety. The Department of Labor offers technical assistance and resources to help protect the occupational safety and health of workers in disaster areas.
MESSAGE FROM MARC MORIAL:
Message from the National Urban League President and CEO, Marc Morial
CONTACT A LOCAL AFFILIATE:
Contact your Local Urban League for resources and information
- New York Urban League
- Urban League for Bergen County
- Urban League of Essex County
- Urban League of Philadelphia
MORE VOLUNTEER EFFORTS & INFORMATION:
- FEMA - FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY: Learn more about their ongoing response efforts.
- Search for open shelters by texting: SHELTER and a Zip Code to 43362
- Hurricane Sandy: Help Those in Need - American Red Cross
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Hurricane Sandy Recovery
NATIONAL URBAN LEAGUE SUPPORTS VOTER TURNOUT:
GET OUT AND VOTE NOVEMBER 6.
- Nov. 4, 2012 - Occupy the Vote Rally
- Occupy the Vote Election Center: Get more information about voting in YOUR area.
LOCAL NEWS UPDATES:
- Disruption From Storm May Be Felt at the Polls - New York Times
- New York Marathon Canceled In Wake Of Hurricane Sandy - www.huffingtonpost.com
- Apocalypse N.Y.: Hurricane Sandy kills 32, takes estimated $20 - www.nydailynews.com
- Hurricane Sandy's New York City death toll climbs to 40 as city - www.nydailynews.com
- Hurricane Sandy 2012: New York City Struggles Back After - www.huffingtonpost.com